top of page
  • Nancy Burnett

Changing Your Name After Divorce

Updated: Mar 12, 2018

If you plan to change your name as part of the divorce process, there are a few things you should know.

First: Make sure the divorce decree includes the order changing your name.

Second: Get a certified copy of the divorce decree. This may be required at your motor vehicles department.

Third: Go to your motor vehicles department to change your name first is a good idea. Social security won't change your name until you have a new driver's license. Be sure to check your state's motor vehicles department website for required documents to change your driver's license.

Fourth: See for information on changing your name with Social Security.

Fifth: Don't forget to change your name with your bank, insurance company, employer and credit cards.

Message Nancy on our Facebook Page or email her at Call her legal assistant or leave a message for Nancy at (706) 913-3396. For more information about her, see her About page.

26 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page